View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 05:45 PM

Hello Anja,

PNH can be a scary diagnosis since it is such a rare disease. I was first diagnosed with MDS in June 2010, and PNH in Feb 2011. These two diseases plus Aplastic Anemia can all be intertwined. In fact, my doctor now thinks that my AA and MDS symptoms are all related to the PNH. PNH diagnosis is confirmed by flow cytometry, which can be performed on blood cells and doesn't require a bone marrow biopsy, although I've had my share of them as well.

My treatment has been an infusion of Soliris (eculizumab) once every two weeks. It is an incredibly expensive drug, but it "cures" PNH. That's to say, if you take the infusions every two weeks for the rest of your life, the PNH won't attack your blood cells. Of course, then you are still left with the AA to deal with. Patients with only PNH report feeling better almost immediately.

I second Neil's recommendation of arming yourself with information about PNH. And find a hematologist/oncologist who is familiar with these bone marrow disorders. Read as much as you can and ask lots of questions.

I wish you well in your journey to feeling better and becoming informed. As I said, PNH is rare, so that means you are in rare company!

Sue
Sue, age 72; Dx 6/2010 MDS Int-2. Revlimid unsuccessful, began Aranesp 10/2010; additionally Dx PNH 2/2011, Soliris added 3/2011. ATG 5/2011, Cyclosporine 5/2011. Nplate 10/2011 to 10/2012 . Exjade began 12/2013 due to high ferritin level, discontinued 3/2014 because of increase in creatinine.