View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 01:55 PM

Seeking information regarding Vizada/BMT

My mom was diagnosed with MDS in May 2006. She received monthly procrit shots until April 2008. She then started Vizada, 7 days of treatment every 28 days. She has been getting blood transfusions and platelets every week since starting Vizada. She does not tell me much information about her diagnosis so I don't know the results of any of her blood tests. She tries to downplay her disease and doesn't talk about it much. She does tell me that the need for blood and platelets is due to the Vizada and is nothing to be concerned about. This month will be her 6th round and she told me this past weekend that the doctor says they will continue on the Vizada indefinately. I guess I'm questioning when/how do we decide that the Vizada isn't working and we need to begin thinking about a BMT. My mom is 67, do you think they would do a BMT on her? The doctor has mentioned it to her briefly but didn't give her a lot of information about it.

I was under the impression that Vizada could cure her, but after doing some reading, I realize that is not the case. I don't think my Mom realizes that as well. Her doctor does not like to give bad news, so although my Mom is limited in what she will share with me, I think part of it is that her doctor is not telling her everything she needs to know to make an informed decision on how to proceed with her treatment. I finally acknowleged yesterday that she will most likely die from this disease and the Vizada is just extending her life for a few months (years?).

Sorry for rambling, I guess I'm wondering how long should she continue with the Vizada? What other options does she have? When do we consider a BMT?

Thanks for any advice you may have,
Anna