View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:38 AM
Owner

Anna,

Do you live near your mom? I'm asking because I wonder if you could accompany her to her doctor's appointments. If she says you shouldn't go because "it's nothing" or "I don't want you to worry", let her know that you worry more because you aren't there to hear what the doctor has to say. If you could get your information first-hand, instead of filtered through what your mom thinks the doctor said and what she thinks you want to hear, her treatment plan might be much more clear, and you could ask your own questions. Your mom might even appreciate having somebody who keeps track of details. The flipside is that you have to respect her opinions and decisions about her own care.

You know your mom better than anyone, and a lot depends on your relationship with her. If you can work as a team, you might both find the going easier.

I should also mention that if your mom fills out the appropriate paperwork, she can give you permission to talk to her doctor directly, which you could then do by phone or in person, even if you don't go to her appointments.