View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 07:22 PM
Owner

As you can see from the photos, people had a good time at the Patient Conference in Nashville.

I made it a point to ask people there if they got what they came for, and everyone I asked said yes. Some attendees came to ask the medical experts specific questions, some came to learn more about bone marrow failure diseases in general, and some came to meet other patients.

What I found most interesting this year was the willingness of the doctors to say when they disagreed with each other. During the panel discussions, they politely explained where they had differences of opinion about treatment choices. I think they showed remarkable honesty, and doctors already have to be pretty brave to face a roomful of patients!

The back-and-forth discussions among the doctors made it clearer to me that treatment decisions require interpretation and that there still isn't enough research to know what's best for particular classes of patients, much less any individual patient.

Others who attended the Patient Conference are welcome to post here to comment on their experiences.