View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 4, 2012, 08:31 AM

Doesn't your hematologist have someone else covering for him? They really need to be involved in these decisions. By chance, did the gastro consult with him or another hematologist?

If the answer is no to these, you may want to find another hematologist or get in to see your GP for guidance.

This is my take on h-pylori. Look up the three drugs on rxlist.com so that you know what you are taking and potential side effects. I assume the third medicine is for reducing the acid in your stomach. You have two concerns here. One - the effect on the liver; and Two - the effect on your bone marrow. Pretty much, all antibiotics can negatively impact the BM. Some, however, are more dangerous. So look up the drugs.

Another to ask is: Can you hold off on treating the h-pylori until the liver calms down or until you consult with your hematologist. My thinking is it can wait. But if you have an active ulcer, I wouldn't wait long. If you just have the bacteria, then I think you have time. This is just my opinion. There are some natural approaches you do in the meantime that can help.

I tend to take a slower, less aggressive approach in some aspects of treatment especially since you just came off your cylco, I would be hard pressed to muddy the waters by adding new drugs.

That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that they have found links between h-pylori and blood disorders. So it would be good to deal with it in very near future.

Bottom line....I feel working closely with your hematologist to address these issues is critical. You'll want close monitoring of your blood during all of this and I doubt the gastro is in a position to do this for you.

These diseases are difficult to navigate. Just when you think you have everything under control, something else rears its ugly head. You just have to push forward and know you'll get through this too. Every doctor John saw for medical issues not related to his bone marrow, consulted with his hematologist before they treated him. I think they were afraid of the SAA since they never treated anyone with it.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.