View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 06:53 AM

Pop Up-Date 8/19/2008

Hello from NC.

Pop made an early trip to the hospital yesterday. He was having problems with his concentration over the weekend, and yesterday he had trouble standing. Mom took him to get his blood tested and he was low on Plates and Hemoglobin. He goes in today for his 2 bags of blood and 1 of platelets. It seems that the Procrit is not doing its job either. Can't expect it after almost being on it for a year now. {Dr. only gave him 6 months} He has had more time than expected, and the Dr. was experimenting with him. Pop looks at it like he has helped someone else in the future go further by management.

I noticed over the weekend that his speech is becoming more slurred, and his time line is becoming confused. He also has a "kid like quality" at times. So very not my dad. His emotions are becoming harder to manage when he gets closer to needing transfusions. I can now tell when he is going to need them just by looking at him.

I have been watching my father fade for about 6 months now. It is hard. I would hope no one else will have to endure what he has, but I know that is not life. I was so hoping he could have gone while working, or sleeping, or in the arms of my mother.

Scott

Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.