View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 03:21 PM

Aplastic Anemia Relapse

Hi:

Has anyone relapsed from AA. If so, what treatment did you follow the original ATG with?

I had amazing response to ATG in terms of my counts (although terrible serum sickness, fungus in my esophagus and felt lousy for months). I was on cyclosporine for 13 months and tolerated it pretty well. About 12 weeks after my doctor took me off cyclosporine, my platelets went from 160,000 to 20,000. Yesterday they were 5 and I have been transfusion dependent (platelets and now red) for four weeks.

I am considering another round of ATG vs. the Campath trial at NIH. Since I did so well with ATG (but suffered so much afterward), I am not sure what is the best route to take. I have heard that Campath doesn't have the many side effects of ATG and response rates to date seem about the same. But there is no long term data. My concern: what if Campath doesn't work for me? Then what?????

Are there any relapse patients out there who can comment on a second round of ATG or on Campath?

Many thanks.

Alyse