View Single Post
Old Tue May 5, 2015, 09:16 AM

Thank you for helping "think out loud" with me. I've had bouts of severe neurological problems of unknown cause so I keep thinking that if I can figure out the rare problem with my body (because, even after 13 ys, docs still don't know), I'll be able to prevent future recurrences. So it will take thinking outside the box, and educated forums like these are a good opportunity for finding help.

So..update..doc sees no need to measure retics or anything else special. She says I'm not anemic and nobody cares about elevated folate.... True that hematocrit and hemoglobin are ok so dies it matter that I have low RBC (and that when my retics were measured, they were low, too? I was double checking the history if my bloodwork (going back 20ys, into my 20s), and I've almost always had high MCV. When my neurological health fell apart in 2002, my B vitamins were measured and folate was elevated then, too (I think B12 was sky high that time, too, but never again).

I don't exactly understand why it would be but..hypothetically...if my body has a problem with RBC, isn't it possible that it adapted (I'm an athlete) by making them larger (hence the consistently high MCV, sometimes high MCH)?

As an aside, I think I figured out the low neutrophils in the morning (which at times have been below 1000)-pseudo neutropenia. Really is a thing. Not sure why-the neutrophils apparently hang out at the blood vessel margin at a higher number than circulates in the morning, which us why the number can increase (double) by mid-day. Still trying to understand that but at least I have a name for it!!