View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 06:04 PM

A Young Friend's Experiences

Beryl, my daughter dates a young man (age almost 21) who was diagnosed with MDS in early January. A good donor match was found for him by about April or May.

He had his BMT on June 26th. He is doing very well, but was unable to begin college classes this fall.

He lives in Houston, Tx, where he had the transplant. He has been going to the doctor three times per week, but will soon be down to once a week. He must wear a mask when he goes into public. He is taking a couple of online classes and hopes to start back fulltime at his college campus in January.

He was very weak for quite awhile after the transplant, but is beginning to feel stronger and better each day.

Another young lady (daughter of a college friend) has been unable to find a good donor match and will soon have her transplant using the cord blood. She has some genetic anomaly that has made finding a donor match quite difficult.

I hope the above helps a little bit. I know that because of repressed immunities the patients have to be extremely careful to avoid exposure to anything that can make them ill.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted. You live in a beautiful city. We were just through there a couple of weeks ago as we drove a vehicle home from Philadelphia.