View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Hi Lisa,

I've noticed that my cyclosporine trough has creeped up along with my creatinine the longer that I am on the drug. I'm guessing it is because my kidneys aren't filtering the drug as well as in the past. Have you noticed this with Ken? Perhaps a lower dose today is the same as a higher dose taken previously because of the increased concentration in his system?? I've noticed that even a small decrease in dosage (25mg) can make a HUGE difference in side effects.

Also, has Ken had his cholesterol checked recently? I was shocked to see the increase in my LDL but have since read that it can happen as a side effect of cyclosporine. There also may be a link between high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
If anything, it's been just the opposite, Hopeful. His CSA has actually gotten lower over the last 4 years that he's been on this dosage. He doesn't get it tested that often, but his trough was in the 80s a year after he dropped it to 175 mg, and it's been going down from there. The last reading in November just said <40. I guess they can't even measure it below 40? Of course that poses the question of whether or not it has any therapeutic value at all at that level, but based on his previous experience, we don't want to mess with it too much.

He hasn't had his cholesterol tested in ages either, along with a lot of other things that just got put on the back burner for a long time. We talked about that too, and decided it's time to see his GP for a regular check-up.