View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 4, 2007, 12:51 PM

X-Linked Sideroblastic Anemia

I wrote in an earlier post about Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) being very helpful for my husband, Paul. Since that time, I have been searching the internet for more information. Yesterday I came up with a very helpful article, "Late-onset X-Linked Sideroblastic Anemia," presented by Phillip D. Cotter (Dept. of Human Genetics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NY; et al, ; published by Rapid Publication on the internet. Basically it states that while this form of anemia in the past has been principally found in the first 3 decades of life, they are now finding it in elderly people who have been diagnosed as RARS, but actually have XLSA and are responsive to Vitamin B6. Although in very rare occasions, persons who actually have RARS respond to Vita B6 partially and very rarely completely, those with XLSA may even have complete remission and have only a very small chance of progressing to leukemia. This all has to do with mutations of certain parts of DNA. The article urges those with a diagnosis of RARS to at least give vitamin B6 a try.

In the meantime, we are now going about having Paul reevaluated because of his very positive response to Vitamin B6, but also because of other possible faults in his original diagnosis. We really have to thank attending our first AAA/MDS conference two years ago in Denver for Paul even trying Vitamin B6 as an attendee there suggested Paul give it a try. In the meantime, you can bet we have our fingers and toes crossed!