View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 08:23 PM
Owner

XtremSAA,

I'm sorry that your circumstances aren't better, but you are wise to be prepared.

Information on a bracelet should usually include:
  • Contact numbers (family member and/or physician)
  • Your diagnosis: aplastic anaemia (or severe aplastic anaemia)
  • Any allergies you have - important for first responders and emergency room staff
The people who read this information will have medical training, but may not know much about aplastic anaemia, so your idea to mention blood counts makes sense to me.

Some people think they should put their blood type on their bracelet, but I read that your blood type would always be checked before a transfusion, so that there's no need to list it.

I don't think there's a standard you have to follow, and it's tough to put all that information in a limited amount of text. I'd suggest "low CBCs; neutropenia" rather than "low HB, low platelets and Immunosuppressed".

It's also smart to have your most important medical information on paper where it's easy to grab (e.g., by the phone or in a wallet). You can include more details there. If you're unconscious and nobody else is around, your bracelet may be critical, but in most cases you or somebody else can have your paper with you or tell someone where to find it.

Some people keep medical details or ICE ("in case of emergency") numbers in their mobile phone as well. That's handy if you want to look something up yourself, but not as convenient for other people. I wouldn't assume that people would think to check your phone during an emergency and would know how to find that information.

Let's hope your bracelet is never needed.