View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:29 AM

Hi Jenny,

I would have a hard time accepting that answer also. The problem with blood serum level tests for calcuim is that they do not show cellular levels of minerals. This is true for magnesium also. You can have normal blood serum levels because the body has a strong desire to keep calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium level balanced to maintain proper PH levels in the blood. Too acid or alkaline results in death. To do that, it will pull it from the tissues/bones if it needs more, or will dump it into the urine to get of too much. This is most apparent in post-menapausal women with osteopenia/osteoporosis. Their blood serum minerals are normal but they have bone loss anyway. Maintaining homestasis in the body is very complex and well beyond my ability to fully understand it. I guess I'm kind like you in that I would want to push to understand why Emily has bone pain and a fracture. Hopefully, it will all resolve on its own like they said.

Hopefully you were able to get copies of latest labs for your records. Sometimes, having in them in hand can give you some insights to what other questions to ask especially if any results are borderline. And allows you to look at trends over time. What's changed since the last labs.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.