View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 4, 2012, 04:51 AM

Confused with Bone marrow report

MY mum was diagnosed with MDS early of this year. She went for Bone Marrow test, according to the doctor, she has refractory anemia. The doctor treated her with cyclosporine but there is no improvement on the RBC after few months taking the medication. During the medication, my mom was having the blood transfusion, 2 pack/month as her RBC is getting low after 3 to 4 weeks later. Finally the doctor just tell us that the only option is blood transfusion for the rest of her life.

After reading the marrow forum, i learned a lot and started asking questions. Just yesterday during my mom followed up, the doctor says we have few options now. I cant believe my ears when i heard from my sister as she accompanied my mom.

These are the options from the doctor. As i read the forum, i dont know which one is good for my mom based on her bone marrow report, if the expert in the forum can shed some light, it will definitely helps me a lot.

1) Erythroprotein
2) Vidaza
3) Dacogen

About Erythprotein, according to the internet, Erythropoietin is particularly helpful if the serum EPO level is below 200 IU. Do you think it is worthwhile trying in order to bring up the RBC ?

I need some advice as well on the bone marrow report as i dont understand all of them plus the doctor just tell us everything looks ok on the bone marrow report. The only problem is the bone marrow cant reproduce enough RBC.

Below is my mom bone marrow report

Bone Marrow Cytogenetic Report Bone Marrow Aspiration
Bone marrow aspiration taken from right PSIS
Specimen : Bone Marrow No fragents obtained
Collection Date : 10/01/12 Smear was hypocellular with occasional myelocyte, neutrophil and normoblast seen
Clinical Diagnosis : Myelodysplastic Syndrome No blast noted
Comment : Very few cells and No Mitosis were obtained from this specimen Iron stores were not assessable
Date report : 16/1/2012
Bone Marrow Trephine

Trephine biopsy consisted of fragmented marrow with blood clots
Bony trabeculae appeared thin
Intertrabecular spares were 10% cellular with increased fat spaces
Occasional megakaryocytes seen

Interpretation
Bone Marrow Aspiration
Hypocellular marrow
Await Trephine

Bone Marrow Trephine
Hypoplastic Anaemia

I also attached my mom CBC results for the past few months. When the HB is high meaning she just had blood transfusion few days before.

Thank you very much for the help in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blood tests report.jpg (66.0 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by teo : Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM.