View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 4, 2017, 01:54 AM

Grandpa got diagnosed with MDS

Hey everyone,

First I wanted to say thank you to everyone for creating such a great community. My grandpa got diagnosed with MDS early this year. He is 89 years old. I'm not sure what type of MDS he has, and I'm hoping I can get some more information based on what little I know(my mom is taking the lead on his care, but she isn't asking a lot of detailed questions, like what kind of MDS does he have).

As I said my grandpa got diagosed with MDS early this year. He just got a blood transfusion last Friday, and the transfusion before that was around the end of June(so he's basically gone 8 weeks without a transfusion). During the past couple of weeks, when his blood levels have been between 8 and 9, he has felt really bad. I also know he has low platlets, red blood cells, and white blood cells(although I think this might be caused by the immosuppressed shots he's getting). i don't know his blast count, I know in all of his blood tests, they have the blast count listed as DNR.

So my question is, based on that little bit of information, does anyone know how long he has? I love my grandpa and it scares me that I'm going to loose him. Also I've been reading articles saying that bone marrow transfusions shouldn't be excluded because of age. Is that true?

Here is another question. If there is some level of a chance that a bone marrow transfusion can save his life, wouldn't it be worth while to try it?

Anyway thank you guys for the great forum(sounds cliche but really thank you guys).

-Justin