View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 5, 2017, 07:37 PM

Old RAR is still alive and kicking at 3+ years after transplant at age 73. My answers are blunt and not empathetic. For MDS RAEB1 mean life expectancy is a year and a half, if it 2 like I had it drops to 5 months. Keep in mind this is the mean and can be much longer or shorter.

Only about 10% of MDS sufferers get a transplant because it is a risky and physically demanding procedure. I was in good shape, in my late 60's I went to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back as a day trip (walking, not on the back of some poor animal). Unless your grandpa is in extraordinary condition a transplant is probably out of the question.

I am completely cured. All my blood tests come out normal. Doctor said I was his star example of a success stoory, and he doesn't see too many of those. Life is not a bowl of cherries. GVHD still rears it's ugly head. On my last visit I was telling my doctor about lack of energy. He asked If I was looking for what I had at 40. I said no, I would settle for 73. The transplant was the right answer for me and I would do it all over again if given the choice.

The best that you can do is to make the next year the best of grandpa's entire life.

Ray