Thread: Mom in hospital
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:08 PM

what's the rush?

I'm very new to all of this, but I don't understand why the docs are in such a rush to start Vidaza treatments? Why STOP Procrit? Why now? Did they get the actual results from the Bone Marrow Test? I'm sure that wasn't the primary consideration after the hematoma situation developed, but is the result from the Bone Marrow Test the reason they want to start Vidaza? Anyway...I'm sure you have asked the doc all of these questions, and more, but I would want to determine the necessity of starting right now when your mom is already weak. As you well know, her counts count drop significantly and then she will be even weaker than she already is. Also, it's not like Vidaza has an instant response anyway, so if there IS some kind of emergency, I can't see how Vidaza will help with that. Plus, the shots are really unpleasant for some people. My husband just did his first round. Each treatment was two shots delivered under the skin and that amounts to 14 big bruises after 7 days (at least it did for my husband--his platelets were low which probably didn't help matters). And his hemoglobin dropped from 9 to 5 and he had to be hospitalized to get the amount of blood he needed in a timely manner. I would move cautiously.

Anyway, I know I'm not saying much if anything you haven't already thought of. Just wanted to share my thoughts that starting that treatment doesn't sound like the best idea right this minute. I wish you and your family good luck and hope for improvement in your mom's condition.

Margie