View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 18, 2015, 09:23 PM

Bob, Thomas

Ok what exactly is "the Harvard Letter"? And WHERE DOES ONE GET A NEXSUS FORM???? I am amazed, I never knew there was such an item!!
Re Duke, mu husband was a patient of Dr. Carlos DeCastro who is a great guy. He did write me a "as likely as not" letter; however, when the VA denied its acceptance as he did not support his opinion with any 'substantial' documentation it was disregarded. I had requested another letter asking him to support his opinion and have never received a reply. His nurse confidentially advised me he thinks it is a useless exercise the VA puts claimants thru and a futile act; a second doctor in the same cancer center feels the same way and does not write them any more!
Dr. DeCastro has been on the board of AA& MDS iNTERNATIONAL ORG and a VA doctor at Durham hospital.

I have stopped researching and now have to organize my materials for an appeal presentation...what a chore! I will address the 6 or 7 points of denial. I have not found a single study which directly relates AO with any of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Benzene + anemia: yes. TCDD most toxic: yes. Anyone have any luck with studies? 20 years ago there was little research done on MDSs no less what a cause was- other then chemo treatments. Today, the research is focused on correct diagnosis and treatment, which is good...but...
Does anyone know EXACTLY which , what, or how AO specifically causes CLL, Multiple Myeloma, Non-Hodgkins?? Maybe then an association would be suggested for the myeloid cells of the stem cells? Just a thought
Please let me know where I can get a Nexsus Form and the site for the Harvard Letter.

I hope everyone is feeling ok and in good spirits- I am! Happy days, enjoy each one.
barbara