View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 4, 2019, 09:11 AM

Marrow cellularity does not alway correlate to Peripheral blood counts. You can have low cellularity and normal counts, as well as normal cellularity and low counts. The most important reason for the biopsy is to rule out things like MDS and leukemia. SAA is a diagnosis of elimination. They should also check for genetic bone marrow diseases like fanconi's anemia or blackfan diamond anemia. I assume they have already checked for auto-immune issue.

Sometimes, they hit a dry pocket when doing the biopsy and don't get a good sample.

Your BM report says your spleen was removed. Do you think there's a connection to that and the drop in your counts?

Find out what your vitamin D, B12, copper, folate and iron are. You want your D and B12 to be at a optimal level. Low normals are suspect. Are you on any medication or taking anything else. Any digestive issues? Also, get your hormones checked. Get and keep copies of all lab test. You'd be surprised at what can get missed.

As far as timing goes, no one can really say. My husband's tanked in 9 months. Looks like yours has stabilized and may stay that way but I would pursue answers. There are others on this site who also live with lower than normal counts.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.