View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:09 PM

Bone marrow transplant statistics?

This is my first time contributing to the forum so let me introduce myself first. After experiencing chronic neutropenia for 6 years which was monitored 3 monthly, I began to feel increasingly unwell and had several infections one after the other. By a series of what I believe to be divine providences, I went to a different GP from usual. He noticed that my platelets had also dropped below normal (not severely - 112) and sent me back to the haematologist. This led to a bone marrow scan and I was diagnosed in Sep 2011 with MDS RAEB (10% blasts in peripheral blood). At the same time I was diagnosed with hypogammaglobulinaemia. My red cells are fine so far.

My results on 7 Nov: Hb 11.1, Red cells 3.1, Hct 0.32, Platelets 112, WC 1.9, Neut 1.0, Lymph 0.5

I'm currently waiting the results of my 2 brothers' tissue typing to see if I have the option of a bone marrow transplant.

I'm living a normal life at present, working full time and feeling quite well most of the time - this has been made possible by 4-weekly transfusions of Intragam (gamma globulin) which have fixed the hypogammaglobulinaemia. I haven't had an infection since going on this regime. If I feel the slightest hint, I take 5000mg Echinacea which seems to drive it away.

The questions I want to ask are: Is there anyone on the forum who has the same type of MDS with only white cells and platelets affected? If so have any of you around my age (64) had a bone marrow transplant? If so what was it like? Are you cured or do you still have the disease? Are you suffering from rejection symptoms? If so please describe them. I've done a lot of reading and researching, but there's nothing like real life experiences. Thanks!

Last edited by Cheryl C : Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: include age