View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 6, 2012, 08:38 AM

Hi all,

I just confirmed again the attachment received from my sister that the cytogenetic results is as below.

Clinical Diagnosis : Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Comment : Very few cells and No Mitosis were obtained from this specimen

Hi Hopeful, i think you are right about your statement about mitosis. Mitosis is the copying of chromosomes when the cells split. Since they didn't see any mitosis in the sample, maybe they couldn't count the chromosomes to do the cytogenetics.

Any other way for the doctor to count the chromosomes if there were none found on the bone marrow ?

I have doubt now, if the mitosis is not happening at all on the bone marrow, how come my mom WBC and Platelet are normal but there were less RBC along the time. This does not make sense to me. If anyone have the similar case as my mom, no mitosis on the bone marrow. Much appreciated if you can shed some light. Thanx.

Some info from the web http://www.mybloodyourblood.org/biology_stem.htm if you are interested.

Copy some of the info from the web
Bone marrow looks like a network of tiny little connected caves, similar to a honeycomb. Inside are very special parent cells called stem cells. A stem cell can divide itself and produce a twin. This process of cell division is called mitosis. Through mitosis, the stem cell can keep on creating more and more stem cells just like itself.

The stem cell can develop into all the other different blood cells as well! The stem cell can actually "differentiate" into red cells, white cells and platelets!
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015

Last edited by teo : Sat Oct 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM.