View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 4, 2006, 07:11 PM

sorry, i hadn't logged in for a while so didn't realise i had replies.

ruth - thanks for the info. what you are saying is pretty much spot on with what shane's haemo has said. he was off cyclosporin in march this year. apparently they like to re-immunise 6 months after removal of cyclo.

what's annoying is, i don't even know what they are planning to immunise him with yet - but am working on that. we don't give the hep b vaccine over here and polio isn't a live vaccine. however, i do think they might want to give him the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps and rubella) which is live. that is the only one i am really concerned about.

jeff - thanks for the input. if i remember correctly, i was told the same thing. only they had shane on cyclosporin longer than expected. i remember being surprised when they told me it would be at least 18 months BMT before he was strong enough to be re-immunised. infact, it's nearly two years now!

so you're off for transplant very soon then - best of luck! i hope it goes as smooth for you as it did for my son. he was very lucky with a quick recovery with no GVHD

marrowforums - thanks also for your advice. i think what surprises me here is that i had a great relationship with shane's haemo and doctors. they know i research things online and really were inclusive in shane's treatment. however, on our last visit, i actually handed over an excerpt from the "british journal of haemotologists" - "guidelines for the treatment of aplastic anaemia" and it clearly states that live vaccines should only be given if absolutely necessary. the doctor i saw said she would pass it along to his haemo and have her call me. that was one month ago - nothing heard. yet i get a call from our local clinic asking me to bring shane in for re-immunisation. they had received instructions from the hospital. i asked to her to list the vaccines they were requesting and she had no idea! i'm shocked to be honest and told the nurse i would not be bringing him in until i spoke to his haemo. i called the hospital and have left a message there. so, it's a waiting game.

thanks all for your input. i feel a little more assured with my decision to at least question the neccessity of a live vaccine - especially the triple dose one - MMR.

gina xxx