View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:36 AM
Owner

Linda and Edith,

I'm sorry but I don't know much about the chances that a potential donor will be confirmed or rejected as a donor. My wife had two potential donors and one was a perfect match and was available, so they may not have even contacted the second one.

As I understand it, the bone marrow registry contains blood samples for some people but only basic information for others. That's because they used to require a blood sample when you registered, but now they require only a cheek swab. That means they sometimes have to bring the donor in to do a second-level test for a match, and that must affect the screening cost. Perhaps they prioritize who they check on that basis.

I suggest that you get information straight from the sources: ask the transplant coordinator or the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) contact person at your treatment center to tell you how the process works and how insurance applies. You could also contact the NMDP and ask them about this.

You should know that a good number of insurance company decisions are reversed if they are appealed, so if they deny coverage for a necessary procedure (especially in a life-threatening situation) you should consider using the appeals process to have them reevaluate the coverage. Just make sure you follow the insurance company's appeals procedure by the book.