View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to Marrowforums, Sue.

Frank's hospital has probably given him a list of things to bring, including comfortable clothes, toiletries, books, music, etc. When I had my transplant, I wore my own nightgowns every day rather than that awful hospital garb. But now I think people tend to wear sweats or anything else that's easy to get on and off. I wasn't able to read much so I mostly watched TV when I was awake, but everyone is different so having something to pass the time with is helpful. Patients tend to be cold during this process so a robe, sweater, jacket, or warm shirts that can be worn in bed may help. As a general rule, don't bring any valuable possessions to a hospital.

If you are going to be at the hospital a good part of the time, you should be sure you have enough to keep you occupied and food for snacks and/or meals (vending machines and hospital cafeterias can get expensive!). You will want to keep track of Frank's care, so having a notebook is important.

You'll find a lot of useful information at the websites of BMT Infonet and the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. They are both very good organizations that are set up specifically to help patients and caregivers through the transplant process.

I hope you'll keep us posted about Frank's progress in our Transplants forum. Let us know his diagnosis and where he is being treated. There may be members here with experience at the same treatment center who can help you.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra