View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 4, 2011, 05:12 AM

WHO Classification 2008 published

1. As i wanted to know the exact formulations of the WHO Classification 2008 i searched for the original..

It is published in a book:

Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, et al. eds.
WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, Fourth Edition

you can buy it per

http://apps.who.int/bookorders/angla...70&codcch=4002

or amazon.com (a bit cheaper)

Also hematologists and treatment centers have got this original version. I copied the 20 pages concerning MDS Classification in our library on Vienna MedUni. It was not easy to get it, as there exists only one exemplary in Vienna in a public library, and this it stored in a special place: the working table of an employee of a special institute, where the secretary had first to process an investigation who of the servants/doctors that where on Christmas leave had the book... I found the pages very informative for explaining a lot of specialities you cannot read in the common webinformations for WHO Classification 2008. If there ar difficulties in understanding the classification in specific points, these could be discussed with others. But there should exist one single version for a fruitful discussion.., not the 100 slightly different ans also simplified internet-versions. Not every patient is uncapable understanding this classification in detail. So there exists no real reason for such simplifying (or just not indicating the original source) .

MDS is a long lasting disease and it should be possible in many cases that patients and caregivers study the basics of the MDS-Diagnoses profoundly. Even as a patient in a hematological ward it is possible to conduct internet recherches and studies as i did in the 15 months of my stationary treatment.. I did these medical recherches in the internet even years before diagnosis for MDS/AML. It is possible to do the same for almost every person that has passed college/university or is otherwise educated, if enough time is invested. This leads to extended knowledge and responsibility in the patient/caregiver who does this (so i found). Thus the patient/caregiver can much more contribute to the treatment process as it was common in the pre-internet-age.

2. The following article provides additional explanations and reverences to other articles dealing with the New-Classification issue:

Blood, 30 July 2009, Vol. 114, No. 5, pp. 937-951.
Prepublished online as a Blood First Edition Paper on April 8, 2009; DOI 10.1182/blood-2009-03-209262.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrar...09-03-209262v1

3. Of course it is not possible to put the whole content of the WHO Classification to a webside, but it would be useful, if there would be indicated

- that this is a shortened version
- datas of the original source
- where the original can be purchased.

Also it would be advantageous if there would exist the option to buy the Classification 2008 - whole volume or special parts of it (e.g. only the 20 MDS pages) by internet directly to a moderate price.

This could contribute to a better understanding of the Classification by the interested public.

.. Some thoughts,

Kind regards,

Margarete

Last edited by akita : Tue Jan 4, 2011 at 05:35 AM.