View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 12:24 AM

Not doing well at all

Well as soon as I posted on Saturday night I received a phone call from my mom, my dad had fallen and she was not able to get him up. We ran to the house and proceed to get him up. The stools were so bad with being black and tarry. We contacted hospice again and they immediatly came out and gave us the option to take him to the hospital. We opted for hospital. Before leaving we gathered a sample of the stool to take with us. As soon as the ER doctor saw it he said he was bleeding internally. His RBC 4.3, WBC .06, and platlets 5. They started a transfusion, he has received 8 pints of Red, and 2 pints of plalets, and his numbers only increased very little. He is still in the hospital, he keeps spiking a fever as high as 102. At first they thought it might be from the transfusions, but with no transfusions for the last 24 hours they now dont know what would be causing the spike. His chest is clear, and he is in no pain.

This stay in the hospital is a little stranger. Usually he would get the transfusions, and the next day he would be sitting up in bed wondering when he could get out, joking with the nurses, etc. This time it is so different. He still has no energy, he has no strength. One thing that is the same is that he wants to come home.

As a family we have talked and decided that we want him to come home, that is where he wants to be, that is why hospice was brought in, in May. Since he has been diagnosed this weekend has probably been the worse emotional time.

Thank you to everyone who are so willing to post their stories for others to learn. Without this forum I would lost.

Thank you again,
Kim
Kim daughter of Phil 76; Diagnosed 2011 with MDS, Refractory anemia with excessive blasts; Diagnosed 2012 with AML; Treated with Vidaza and Dacogen; Currently only being treated with blood transfusions