View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:00 PM

Ontario Health Insurance

My husband and I live in Ontario, Canada. We are very fortunate that our health costs are largely covered by the government.

After age 65, many drugs are covered by the Ontario Drug Plan. Many people do, however, carry additional health insurance that covers a greater range of drugs. Many of the cancer drugs are paid for by the Ontario gov't. under the New Drug Funding Program. To be eligible, the doctor must recommend the patient and specify that the patient meets the government criteria.

Right now my husband and I have additional health insurance that has a cap of $2600/year for drug coverage. We have the opportunity to get into a different health insurance plan that has no cap on drug coverage. However, this no cap drug coverage monthly premium is significantly more expensive.

My question is, given that my husband has RAEB 1, at some point, will we need to have the better insurance plan due to the high cost of drugs that he will probably need? Also will having a plan with no cap allow him to get the best drugs possible?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Right now, he is on a watch and wait. The diagnosis does not seem real much of the time, as he seems fine.
Ann, wife of David age 74, dx RAEB-1 in April 2012, cytogenetics - good (no detected mutations), 6% blasts in bone marrow, hemoglobin - 12.1 WBC - 1.7; platelet count - 98; ANC - 0.5, watch and wait diagnosis