View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 19, 2017, 06:27 PM

Hi, Annette,

I am so sorry to hear of the change in your mom's circumstances, and my heart goes out to you and your family! You and your mom remind me so much of me and my dad, and I know you will both handle this phase of things with dignity, grace, and love!

It seems that the course this disease takes to the very last day is so different for everyone, but for my dad at least, it was very easy (no pain or discomfort even with infections) until the very last week. He appeared very agitated and had difficulty breathing that last week but was unable to tell us what was bothering him. Hospice could not say if the agitation was due to medication, low oxygen, mini strokes, etc that can all play a part at the end, but they felt fairly certain that he was not really aware of what looked like discomfort to us. It sounds like your mom will remain in the hospital which may be a blessing in that nurses and doctors will be able to make her comfortable quickly, and you will not have to be trying to manage her comfort on your own.

You and Sue are right that although this is a horrible thing for anyone to go through, there is a silver lining in the chance to be very close to one of the most important people in your life. I had to go through it with both my mom and dad, but I got the benefit of having the most wonderful people ever as my parents.

Your mom's sense of humor is amazing, and I'm sure she will keep it through this trial, too. My dad was still making mischievious comments to the very end, and they still bring a smile and a lot of comfort to me.

Sending love and hugs to you and your mom!