View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 7, 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Wow! That is one big dose of curcumin!

There's some good info (with lots of references) at the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University here.

It notes:
"Serious adverse effects have not been reported in humans taking high doses of curcumin. A dose escalation trial in 24 adults found that single oral dosages up to 12 g were safe, and adverse effects were not dose-related (5). In a phase I trial in Taiwan, curcumin supplementation up to 8 g/day for three months was reported to be well-tolerated in patients with precancerous conditions or noninvasive cancer (8)."

So 8 g would appear to be okay. That's way more than I found folks in the Parkinson's community taking, but a UCLA Alzheimer's study is using 4 g/day.

Pauling also notes: "Curcumin has been found to inhibit platelet aggregation in vitro (85, 86), suggesting a potential for curcumin supplementation to increase the risk of bleeding in people taking anticoagulant or antiplatelet medications, such as aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), dalteparin (Fragmin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), and warfarin (Coumadin)." That could be a problem if your Dad is already thrombocytopenic. I recall now that's what made me a little wary of starting Curcumin and resulted in my opting for the CoQ10 for starters.

Good luck!

Greg
Yeah, 8 gm sure is high dosage. And dad doesn't have thrombocytopenia, though in case blood tests reveal dipping platelets, we'll know to limit/discontinue the curcumin. Thanks for this though.