View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:40 PM

Transfusions

Hi Chirley,
You know I got 142 units of PRBC from dx 2006 until Sept 2010 when Thalidomide + Prednisone kicked in after 3 months. My HGB slowly increased to 13.7 and then slowly decreased.

Feb 2013 I had to get txs again because my HGB was 8.8. I got delayed hemolysis and my HGB was 7.5 after 2 weeks. Thalidomide is increased from 4 x 50 mg/week to 50 mg/day. Thalidomide decreases my WBC and I have to take an injection Zarzio (like Neupogen) every week.

My platelets are very good - about 180 . My HGB is better but I still have hemolysis and have to get blood almost every week - today I got unit nr 165 and 166. I am genotyped and always get very well matched blood less than 14 days old. I always receive Solucortef (cortisone) before transfusions - I have had a lot of irregular antibodies since dx.

I try to follow my HGB by controlling my heart rate - if it is less than 70 I am OK and if is more than 85 I need blood. The heart never feels the new blood the same day - it will take at least 24 hours.

I have never read that antibodies can disappear - are you sure that the lab really can test your blood?
Kind regards
Birgitta-A