Thread: Holistic dr
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 2, 2012, 01:03 PM

Hi Nadine, I guess your holistic Doc may be a Kinesiologist? They use a system of muscle testing which is alleged to find imbalances/weaknesses/nutritional deficiencies, and some use electronic diagnosis like the Vega machine or Biocom, where they put probes on acupuncture points. I trained as a nutritional therapist and some of my colleagues were very into these systems, but I have always been a tad sceptical of 'hocus pocus' therapies! However a relative had been ill for several years with an undiagnosable muscle wasting condition and progressive paralysis, went to a Kinesiologist who tested her muscles and told her she had lead poisoning. She had her water tested, and lo and behold, there were very high lead levels. She had the water system replaced and is now recovering. I saw the same Kinesiologist who knew nothing about MDS but after testing me, recommended shark liver oil. I am still a little sceptical about the methodology behind his diagnosis, but since taking SLO my white cell count has gone up to normal levels. Sometimes the diagnostic 'map' alternative therapists use is rather weird, but if it is doing no harm and you are feeling better, I would stick to it. It is more than can be said for the Western Orthodox medical system at times. Burdock is a herb traditionally used to help the liver and digestive system, and astralagus is a traditional chinese blood building herb, so there is a basis in science there. Are you taking folic acid as a precaution or because you have been tested as deficient? I would advise taking B12 as well as they are synergistic, and if you are low in B12, excess folic acid can make it worse. If your alternative therapist is a devout vegan, they may have selective hearing when it comes to the benefits of B12! Good luck anyhow, I will get off my nutrition soapbox now