Thread: Travel Tips?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 08:28 AM

Travel Tips?

Hi all!
Do any of you travel despite your treatments for blood disorders? I haven't but I am desperate for a vacation after the past 15 months of this roller coaster.

I live in NJ and am planning a road trip to Florida in my camper van with a friend. Although I'm battling MDS, and have just finished my 5th rd of Vidaza, I feel great currently and want to travel while I can. I am planning to use my brother's house in Jacksonville as my hub--he is close to the Mayo Clinic.
There, I can receive blood products if needed....This is what I have thought of so far--but I feel like I am leaving something out...
-I will get a Dr there to set up a file and have my Dr be in touch
-I will make sure they accept my insurance
-I will contact the infusion dept there and prearrange a visit
-I will stop by and get to know the place so I will be familiar with the protocol
-I will get my blood tested along the way at Labcorps, which is a nationwide lab.
-Meds, of course, will be filled and Rx's as needed

If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly