Thread: Please HELP!
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 11:01 AM

Unhappy Please HELP!

Hello All! I'm new to the forums so please keep in mind that I'm new to this, new to the terminology and so on

A week and half ago I took my son in to be checked for easy bruising and the Dr. ordered some blood tests. The day we took him for labs, they called back within and hour and a half saying his platelets were down to 20 (150-400), his white 3.7 (4.5-14.5) and red blood HGB 6.6 (11.5-15.5) HCT 19% (35-45) cells were also down.

We were so shocked because my son has never shown any symptoms or signs of illness...nothing! He was admitted and received a blood transfusion along with platelets. Of course frequent blood draws. The Dr.'s also performed a bone marrow biopsy that ruled out Leukemia and they even mentioned at some point he was exposed to the Mono virus. Yesterday was his follow-up appointment which revealed a 10% bone marrow cellularity (above 40%)! and they mentioned Megaloblastic which I understood to be abnormally large red blood cells. Is that right???

As many of you know, when this all of a sudden happens, one is forced to educate themselves on their own so this 10% bone marrow cellularity is new to me. The information that was given to me yesterday is new to me. I'm freaking out and I'm since I don't know I'm wondering what to do.

Aplastic Anemia is a very complicated, confusing illness and it hasn't been ruled out!

They've also have mentioned things like Pancytopenia and neutropenia.

The doctor's will now be doing a chromosome test, PNH, and a test for Lupus??? They've also done a folic acid and vitamin B12 .

His platelets continue to drop along with the red and white cells and I feel like I need to act fast and it's only the beginning. Where do I seek specialty help? In Denver? In Houston? WHERE?

Last edited by cvigil : Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM.