View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 01:03 PM

laughter is the best medicine!

Laughter is essential for so many positive reasons, laughter actually releases endorphins into the blood stream, even a genuine smile can do that too. I am naturally a giggle box, and have found it an absolute life line through all of this...
stories to share.
whilst in isolation i was getting extremely bored, so, when the nurses were doing their handover outside the rooms I would stand at the door looking through the window and would slowly bend my knees so it looked as if i was going up and down in a lift, it would crack them up everytime - i even heard the head nurse say one evening "and this is karen miles, well, she is being karen" and everyone smiled which i thought was such a positive but funny moment.
Another is always at transfusion time, I sit in the chemo unit ordering red wine and a bag of gin and orange - then when they put the piriton in I will smile inanely and say something on the lines of being a little drunk, makes everyone smile. On the ward, I got so bored one day (I am an occupational therapist, so the clinical staff expect me to be creative) I got those little "hat" things that people pee or be sick in and made it into a hat - the nurses faces when they walked in with the consultant and I just sat there wearing it was a picture. I decided that this disease was never ever going to rob me of my personality and although it has tested me I will keep that resolve. I am no way out of the woods yet and am now 3 months post ATG with no real signs yet although whites and nutrafils have improved, but as I say to everyone, I am special my marrow is special and in a very highly theatrical voice I finish with "so we will improve our counts when we want to" and then I stomp my foot!!!
I love an audience...can you tell?
have a lovely day all xxxx