View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 11, 2017, 09:41 PM

Bailie...Day+1059 Final Goodbye

You knew him as Bailie (real name Gary). I knew him as Dad - the best Dad a daughter could ever have. You knew him as an avid poster to the forum; someone always welcoming a new member; someone who has gone through so much and continued to overcome...I hope an inspiration to many.

I am writing this post - a post I hoped to never write - to regretfully tell you that Dad died at approximately 3am this morning. He was at Day +1059 from transplant. But after relapsing in Mar 15, going into remission for 2 years before relapsing again in Apr 17, the disease finally was too powerful. He spent April in the hospital undergoing induction chemo, which fortunately worked - he came out with zero blasts. He was just so weak, though. The subsequent round of Dacogen and follow-on DLI (Donor Lymphocyte Infusion) brought on new troubles. He went in for routine lab work last Monday, but was admitted instead. And even though his blasts went from 40% on Monday to 70% on Thursday, the doctors were hopeful and had a plan. We truly thought he'd be coming home this past weekend. He wasn't able to, though, and we said goodbye to a wonderful person today.

I've never posted here before - I left that to Dad. But we checked the forum in the mornings and evenings, and always discussed the new threads - being excited with and for those doing well; being sad for those in tough situations and especially the Families of those lost. All of you have been like Family these past three years and I can't thank each and everyone of you enough. We couldn't have gone through this whole ordeal without the support and knowledge of everyone on the site. Neil - thank you, as always, for this amazing site and never ending support. RAR and DANL - you both have been my go-to people since transplant - please continue your fight and know Dad appreciated you both so incredibly much. Cheryl C and others - thank you for checking in on Dad when he was quiet this past month.

This has been such an all-consuming journey these past three years. He wasn't ready to go. But he knew the statistics were against him and he was so tired and weak in the end. He died, though, in the manner he hoped - quietly, peacefully, and without great fanfare. It will be so difficult not having Dad here. He was Dad and I loved him so much.

I wish all of you the very best. Please continue the fight. If there's anything I can assist with, from the caregiver standpoint, and from someone who was right there with Dad the whole way, please let me know. I know Dad would like to continue providing his "wisdom".

With such overwhelming sadness,
Kellie