View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 06:10 PM

Unhappy Recently diagnosed and feeling scared

Hello my name is Dalesa and I was just recently diagnosed with aplastic anemia. I got diagnosed in September of 2014. At the present moment I am not receiving any treatments except monthly check of my blood cell levels.
I am only 23 and I feel like since I was diagnosed my life has stopped. I constantly worry about my numbers dropping that I am getting to the point I am afraid to live. I have goals of wanting to be a preschool teacher and starting a family but now I fear that I won't be able to because I never know when my numbers will drop or if I will get sick. When I got diagnosed I kept asking myself why me god, why now. I am young and should just be starting to live yet I feel I can't . Its hard for me to deal with it, I have no idea how to cope and live with AA.
When I got diagnosed the doctor told me this is what it seems like I have; guess I don't quite fit all of the criteria but fit most of it. It was hard for the doctors to figure out what was/is wrong with me because I didn't show all the common and well known signs/symptoms.
My family doesn't understand what going on or how to help me. When I get my levels checked and they drop slightly I feel like I'm the only one worried about them dropping, according to the doctor and medical staff they are stabilizing but to me they seem extreamly low and I worry about it. My boyfriend wants to try and understand and be there for me but its hard for me to explain how scared I truly feel all the time. Hoping for support and tips on how to deal with the fact that I have aplastic anemia and how to try and go back to living a semi normal life of a young adult.