View Single Post
Old Sat May 2, 2015, 09:07 AM

Hello everyone,
My loving, wonderful, kind hearted, young father is critical in the ICU right now. Back story: My dad never gets sick or goes to doctor, this is his first hospital stay. He started feeling not well 3 months ago and thought a bad sinus infection. Was put on antibiotics with no relief. Then he developed a swelling of his anal area and decided to go to ER.
ER tried to lance swelling and said no pus. His blood work showed low platelets(105), low hemoglobin (9.4) and high wbc (19).
They did a blood smear which showed blasts in his blood. He then had a bone marrow biopsy which showed <5% blasts but irregular shaped WBC and some large platelets.
Plan was to start outpatient tx for MDS once infection clears. PROBLEM now is that his WBC keep going up. His rectal swelling turned purple and the rectal doctor thought a pocket of pus hiding and turning necrotic. He rushed to the OR and they found that it was just cellulitis with hemmorrhagic swelling on top. THe wound tested for gram positive cocci which I believe he's already been on antibiotics for.
My concern is that his WBC are not working right and are we missing something. How can he start treating the MDS asap if he has an infection. WBC today 26, platelets 97,
hg 8.4. Fever. Feels ok though.
ANY INSIGHT PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME, MY FAMILY IS SRUGGLING SO MUCH