View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 11:20 AM

Dear Piff,
My husband, age 62, smoker (quit immediately), was diagnosed October 2011 with MDS. At the time, his rating was 100% for PTSD, Diabetes etc. & receiving full medical care from the VA. Therefor the VA covered his transplant. I am still in the appeals process for the claim he started 11/2011 regarding the MDS yet, VA still covered all cost for the transplant due to his rating was already 100%. We were notified 12.24.11 that his sister was a 10/10 match. After all the testing/evaluations were complete & info sent to Washington for them to determine his fait, he was approved for the transplant. We were sent to Audy Murphy VA hospital in San Antonio March 19th, 2012 for 5 months. We had a few hurtles to cross during the transplant. It was his only option for survival. He was discharged August 10th, 2012 100% in remission. He was a medical miracle.

With that said, it all depends on what your current rating is as to how much the VA will cover your medical expenses. Just because you smoked years ago the VA more likely than not will do the procedure so long as you are currently not using drugs/tobacco/alcohol. My input is not a guarantee, for it is also based on your health conditions if it is even possible. I do know that if you do not have a sibling donor it can also take more time to find an outside donor.

Regardless, you are in good hands. Don't listen to outside sources, me included. I was only sharing what I learned while my husband was on this same journey. Get it from the horses mouth "VA". Everyone has a unique situation, no one is the same.

As for your claim, keep pressing forward. Stay in touch here on this forum. We are all here to support each other and update everyone with any new info we receive regarding the claim process. You are not alone!

My heartfelt prayers are with you and the family. Keep fighting, for God's plan is not finished for your life.