View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
Sorry, but I filed this in the wrong forum so refiled my question here.
Filed for VA disability for MDS/AML (diagnosed in 2015 and told I am terminal). Someone told me my chances of getting VA disability is not too good since I was a smoker for a long time. I quit in 2007 and have not touch any tobacco products since. Is this true or do I have a chance? Worked with fuel & chemicals while in service with no protection. Thanks Piff (Roger)
Let me be a little blunter now. If I were you I would be concerned about and putting my energy into curing the MDS. If you aren't cured you will be dead and not get much disability. From reading this group I get the feeling VA does not give disability for MDS very readily. They consider it anemia rather than cancer.

For a transplant the major concern is blast counts. I started at 14% that went to 2% in 2 months on a clinical trial. Platelets, ANC, and WBC were at critical level. This was not a concern. I was healthy and in better than average condition.

As I understand any disabled veteran is entitled to free medical services. Disability % is used only for drug copay. I am 50% disabled and in the top priority group for VA health care. I had the VA install a heart stent. Doctor was excellent. Results were as expected. I looked at VA for MDS. VA actually covers some costly items that Medicare does not cover. I choose Medicare.

Rather than it looking like I am badmouthing the VA ( I am not ) if you send me private message I can go into more detail.

Do you have other insurance?

Ray