View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:12 PM

Newbie—Neutropenia and Hypocellular Bone Marrow

Newbie-- Neutropenia and Hypocellular Bone Marrow

Hello everyone, I’m 24 and new to marrowforums.org and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar set of symptoms and gotten a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with neutropenia in April after getting some blood work done for Peace Corps. Since then, I’ve had multiple diagnostic tests, repeat CBCs, an abdominal ultrasound and lung x-ray, as well as a bone marrow biopsy.

I have sore throats all the time and am usually fatigued, no matter how much sleep I get. I also have some petechiae that come and go. I’ve been to three doctors and haven’t yet gotten a diagnosis. One has suggested it could be cyclic neutropenia, but after more careful study of my ANC over several weeks, the time frames don’t fit. Since March, my ANC has gone up and down (0.35-1.82) and my platelets follow a similar pattern but are on the low range. I attached my Excel chart of my ANC values.

My bone marrow biopsy showed I have hypocellular marrow (40-50%). In the aspirate, lymphocytes were slightly high (20%, reference 10-15%), monocytes were high (3%, 0-1%). Myleocytes were 9% (10-13% reference). Rare megakaryocytes were noted and exhibited occasional cytologic atypia.

I’ve had so many tests and am left with more questions. I only found out about the neutropenia because of the Peace Corps medical clearance process. With my current ANC levels at 0.35, I’m really depressed.

Does this sound like a particular condition to anyone? Does anyone here have similar symptoms? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANC.JPG (40.9 KB, 10 views)