View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 4, 2010, 11:18 PM

Decreased Iron Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren H View Post
The other thing I noted from the forums is that MDS often leeches minerals, like iron, from the bone marrow. So even if the levels are normal in the blood, the marrow may not be. Is this accurate? The lab was not able to find stainable storage iron during my bone marrow biopsy, but my blood iron (to my knowledge) is fine. Is this something I should be worried about?
Hey Lauren!

A lot of MDSers don't have messed up chromosomes, but there are some abnormalities that often show up in MDS, which is why I was curious.

I'm not educated about iron stores and MDS, but can confirm that my BMBs have shown decreased iron stores, even though I have plenty of iron in my peripheral blood. My doc suggested adding iron-rich foods to my diet but not adding supplemental iron, since my transfusions are adding plenty of that.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the subject.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com