View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 02:12 AM

Kyis,

My experience with Vidaza is that i hit my low point in terms of energy and blood counts at about days 13-17 or so. During the first couple of cycles, we would do a CBC prior to the cycle beginning, at the end of the first week, then weekly thereafter. Palliative care (transfusions etc, ) was performed as needed. I would not suggest waiting extra days to get transfusions done if needed as that in the end lowers your quality of life, and exposes you to getting overly tired and more prone to infection, so no, waiting another few days or 10 days should not be part of the protocol. Generally, your doctor has a number in mind, mine happened to be transfuse at anywhere below 7 because I functioned well down to that range. During treatment, most people seem to go with an 8 or 9 target, i have seen some as high as 10. Check with your doctor at your next appointment what their trigger number is. Some clinics use HCT instead of HGB as well, so you might hear a number like 25 as the transfusion trigger for RBC. Platelets are usually only transfused if you are symptomatic or below 10 for most that I have seen. I have also seen neupogen injections given along with Vidaza, but this seems to be a little rarer. Feel well and be strong!
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.