View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 12:01 AM

MDS - secondary prior chemo

Hi,
My husband was diagnosed 2/08 with MDS RARS-INT1, secondary due to prior chemo from Non Hodgkins Lmphoma. He has several abnormal chromosome damage including monosomy 7. He has been doing quite well so far. He had 1 treatment of Vidaza in 4/08 for 7 days, & then decided not to continue with Vidaza because one of his oncologist/hematologist thought a wait & watch approach was warranted because his counts were pretty good & he feels good. After getting opinions from 2 oncologist/hematologists, 1 Dr who specializes in MDS, & 2 transplant doctors my husband decided to wait & watch for now. He said he could always start the Vidaza treatments later on if needed. He is not a good candidate for a stem cell transplant or umbilicord transplant due to other health issues. The transplant doctors told my husband that he would have a 20 - 40% chance of making it through a transplant. So he has ruled that out for now, but did allow them to take blood in case he changes his mind at a later date. No 2 people who have MDS have exactly the same symptoms or treatment. There are a lot of factors that weigh into the treatment that each doctor recommends. There are several web sites to research so you get more knowledgeable about this horrific disease; so you can make decisions on what is the best treatment option to follow. The more informed you are the more questions you can ask the doctors. Please keep me posted as to what you guys find out. We may have a lot in common as you find out more.

Sincerely,
Pete & Sandy Peterson