View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:33 PM

A little update....

My Dad has been in a transitional care unit for about 12 days after 10 days in the hospital. He has been fighting off the pneumonia, but this one was a bad one. Double pneumonia. Third time he had pneumonia in 7 months. His lungs are improving, but it's a slow process. He has lost about 30 pounds. He is starting to do better. A week ago, his hemoglobin was 10.9. It was going up on it's own, so we were happy. Five days later, it was down to 8.5. Today it was 8.1, platelets down to 22. He is probably getting about done with two units and a bag of platelets as I type this.

Does anyone know if they can do anything for his RBC now, is his weakened state? Honestly, he was doing better at 8.5 than he was at 10.9, but that must have had something to do with the pneumonia. I was hoping the 8.5 was in error, because I've been with him when he was that low, and he didn't seem like he was 8.5. The 8.1 today kind of confirms it.

Does anyone know if you can get procrit while he is weak like this? I know vidaza is out of the question. I'm Praying that his counts go up on their own. How about thalidomide? Is this something that could be possible?

Thanks again for the support. I am Praying for you all.