View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 06:53 AM

Ash cloud puts lives of bone marrow patients at risk

Just when I thought I'd heard the worst stories of people being stranded (I personally know several still stuck), and reports of fruit and veg deliveries being disrupted, the BBC really puts this all into perspective with reports of 16 patients who've had their transplants cancelled because the stem cells couldn't be air couriered in time due to the flight cancellations. And that's only counting the patients IN the UK, not the other way around. So I wonder how many patients elsewhere in the world have also been affected by stem cells that were supposed to come from European donors.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8628078.stm

This could've been me - my stem cells came from an American donor last summer via air courier. I can't believe what these people are going through now...

Edit: more news on the Anthony Nolan site, too.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)

Last edited by squirrellypoo : Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Anthony Nolan link