View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 05:52 PM

Here is what we have been through so far.. any thoughts?

Hi,
Not sure if we are in the right place but here is what we have been through so far. Just wondering if any of this sounds familiar, any advice for a worried mom?

My 19 year old daughter has been having health issues for years but the last year has been awful. Started with bad fatigue last fall and pain in hands which let us to a rheumatologist, nothing found, she said to watch and see if anything new showed up. Fatigue, nausea and night sweats, low grade fevers at the beginning of this year prompted a ton of blood work from the GP which showed some marginally low thyroid and anemia. Off to the endo who said no treatment. Back to the rheumatologist in Aug for worsening symptoms, more blood work which showed elevated sed rate and persistent low WBC & anemia. Sent to hematologist who has put her on high dose iron for anemia and said will do iron infusion if oral is not tolerated. She has only been on the iron for 10 days. She has had several rounds of low grade fever, night sweats, nausea, sometimes sore throat and debilitating fatigue and some random bruising but nothing horrible which we showed to the hematologist. Ultra sounds of spleen, ovaries, liver and chest xray by hematologist all normal. Here are all her labs:

10/7/2010 Done by Rheumatologist No Autoimmune Markers for RA etc. found.
WBC 4.2
RBC 4.19 L
HEME 11.13 L
Hema 36.1 L
MCV 86.2
MCH 27.0 L
MCHC 31.3
RDW 14.0
Neut 58
Lymph 34
Mono 7
Plate 187
Positive ANA 1:40 speckled Pattern

4/15/2011
EBV IfM 0.2
EBV IgG >8.0 High
EBV Nuclear Antiqgen Ab IgG >8.0 High
Iron Serum 28 Low
Iron Sat 8 Alert

8/23/ 2011
Sed Rate 34 elevated
CBC's continued to fall

9/26/2011- latest blood work by Hematologist
WBC 2.8L
RBC 3.67 L
HEME 10.7 L
Hema 31.4 L
MCV 85.8
MCH 29.2 L
MCHC 34
RDW 13.3
Mono 7
Plate 135
MPV 9.5

Auto Diff
Segs 43.1 L
Mono 6.2
Lymph 48.9 H
Eosin 1.3
Baso 0.5
Segs-Bands 1.2 L
EBV VCa IgG 5.63 H
EBV VCA IgM 0.41
Thyroglob Ab 22
Ferritin 26
B12 1007

Lots of labs between these dates in which they just continued to fall and this is where they are now.

Hematologist said CBC's could be due to EBV which I have found very little on in regards to how EBV affects the bone marrow. I got the feeling from the hemaotologist that she wanted to watch and see what happens which is real hard for a mom when she has watched her daughter stay chronically ill for several months. The Dr is well respected and trained at MD Anderson so I feel like we are in good hands. My questions are:

how long to we watch, how low do the labs go before a bone marrow test is done? Does this sound like it is getting serious? What would you do if this was your daughter?

Sorry so long, I tried to make it short but with months of problems and tests that is hard.
Best to all and thank-you for your time,
Barbara