View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 07:24 PM

Doing well on Vidaza at 80 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova H View Post
A grandparent was recently diagnosed with MDS.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with an elderly patient (>80) on Vidaza. If so, what is their prognosis like? Are they still able to go out for activities, like dinners and spending time at the market. Asking because my grandparent is usually quite active during the week, including swimming and meeting up with friends.
Yes, I was diagnosed a year ago at 79. I'm very active with bridge, theatre, lectures, friends, family when I'm feeling good; not so much when the chemo has knocked my numbers down, that's for sure. I live alone, and there are days when it's all I can do to get up and get myself something to eat. Luckily, I have about two weeks every month when I feel great. Mind you, I'm having blood transfusions now every 4-6 weeks or so. That helps when you get to that point.

If your grandma lives alone, just keep a close eye on her during those days when she's weak and feeling like she just can't do anything but get by. The Vidaza knocks us down, but it's also keeping us alive and feeling good at least half the time.

Last edited by AliceKay1 : Mon Sep 24, 2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: No editing