View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 8, 2007, 07:11 PM

hi marlene,

i'm back - albeit a little late as usual

whilst i do have news, unfortunately it won't be relevent to you and john, simply because shane had a BMT. it was something i didn't even think about, but apparently shane has acquired some immunity when receiving his brothers bone marrow. more importantly, the only vaccine i was concerned about was the MMR, which is a live vaccine. apparently shane has sufficient immunity to avoid the contraversial issue of re-vaccinating him.

this for me was excellent news! despite the doc originally plugging for us to re-vaccinate, i felt she too was relieved that this particular vaccine was no longer an issue.

i can't believe i was so dense in not realising that through ryan's bone marrow, shane would have received parts of his immune system too. so unlike you, we weren't working from scratch as it were. the doc did say the immunity he did have was definately from ryan. so i can only assume that without the BMT, shane would not have had any immunity.

however, the titers did show he needed other vaccines, so he wasn't covered for everything - no surprises there i guess. but if they are not live vaccines, i'm not too concerned.

i think overall, i'm pleased with the outcome

gina xxx