View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 10:14 AM

Exclamation Campath trial at NIH - One Year Report

Hi:

It is exactly one year since my participation in the NIH Campath trial for relapsed and refractory Severe Aplastic Anemia patients. (If you haven't read my day to day blog describing the experience, you may want to do so.) I returned to NIH on August 9. My HGB was 11; platelets 76; neutrophils 1300. Dr. Phillip Scheinberg, the principal investigator, was very encouraged by my progress. He told me to stop worrying about relapse and to let him do the worrying. He said there isn't anything I can't do.

Over the past three years, I have been blessed with incredible doctors, and the love and support from my family and friends. I am one of the lucky ones and I will never forget this. I am available to support others who are dealing with bone marrow failure diseases.

A few days before my NIH visit, I was in Chicago for my 50th high school reunion. It seemed like the right time to rediscover an important part of my past. I believe that my experience with Aplastic Anemia made me appreciate the reunion even more. It was thrilling to be present there and have the good fortune of rekindling early friendships at this stage of my life.

Alyse

--