View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 PM

Preparing for a Bone marrow transplant

My name is Nina van Nunen. I am 46 years old, married and have two daughters aged 13 and 18. I live in the Netherlands with my husband and daughters, but we are South African. I was diagnosed with MDS in October 2005. After a failed ATG treatment in January 2006, and a tough year of heavy medication (Prednison, Cyclosporin and Antibiotics), my sister was tested as a possible donor for a BMT.
I am extremely fortunate that she was found to be a very good match and is willing to donate her bone marrow to me. She arrived in Holland a week ago and we have started the tests etc. If all goes well, I will go into hospital on the 6th of Feb and start heavy chemo treatment through a long line in one of my main arteries, to destroy 80% of my own bone marrow in preparation for the new bone marrow. I am scheduled to receive the new bone marrow on the 14th of February. I am extremely positive and know that I will get through this. I am so lucky to have great support form friends, family and people I hardly know throughout the world... (We live in an International community and I have taught at an International school in the Netherlands, so I have met so many people during the past 6 years.)
I am a bit apprehensive as to how things will be and how I will take the Chemo, but after reading Ruth's wonderful story of success, I am confident that I will also get through this.
I am very greatful for this opportunity to make contact with people in the same boat as me and to share my feelings and fears with others.
To be able to communicate with people who have been through what you are facing makes the ordeal a lot less scary...
I will try and keep updates on how the treatment is going and how I feel, to help others.
In the meantime, Thank you Ruth for setting up this wonderful platform where we can come to when we feel lost and over whelmed...
God bless,
Nina :)

Last edited by Ruth Cuadra : Fri Jun 8, 2007 at 02:48 PM.